Distracted driving is an epidemic and one of the biggest distractions in a car is your cell phone.
Why do people reach to grab their phone while driving? The pressure to respond, fear of missing what someone is telling them, the “itch” to grab their device after they hear a text come in, notifications dinging from other apps, the list is endless.
So, how can you avoid reaching for your phone while driving? Our team has a few suggestions:
- Put your phone out of sight. As they say – “out of sight, out of mind”
- Start your maps + music before you drive to ensure you are not tempted by entering your location or desire to listen to your favorite jams
- Pullover when you think of something which needs quick attention on your device
- Enable Apple Do Not Disturb while driving. This will send a customized text message to anyone who tries to contact you while you are driving – giving you relief that you are not making people wonder why you are not responding. A full tutorial can be found at this link.
- If you have Bluetooth in your car, make sure it is set-up so all calls come directly through your car and you can be on the phone and answer handsfree
While there are many distractions on the road, cell phones are one of the biggest distractions. Keep your eyes on the road, not your phone and remember, the notification can wait.